My saddest experience as a Nigerian in this super-charged political dispensation is being constantly 'accused' of supporting Jonathan because I'm Igbo (even though Mr President is Ijaw). While Buhari continues to enjoy fanatical support from a certain section of Nigeria PURELY because of his tribe and religion.
I have pitched my tent with President Goodluck Jonathan and these are my reasons.
1. Privatization of Electricity sector was first muted in the 90s; other administrations foot dragged because of massive corruption in areas of awarding contracts to cronies to supply electricity equipments, transformers etc. Today, GOODLUCK JONATHAN has privatized the power sector and the new private owners are working round the clock to overhaul this 35-year crippled industry.
2. In Post-oil boom era of 70s, 80s, 90s and early 2000s, AGRICULTURE was turned into a social development programme where Government ‘begged’ citizens to return to farms while officials stole billions through fertilizer racket. Today, under GOODLUCK JONATHAN Agriculture has been transformed from a social programme into a BUSINESS. Fertilizer racketeering has ended while Farmers now receive Agricultural inputs from government through a modern E-wallet system. Nigeria’s food production has increased while food imports have dropped. FACT
3. For decades Nigerians traveling to the East spent hours stuck on the Benin-Ore Road, previous administrations including Buhari-led PTF looked the other way while Nigerians suffered and died on that road. GOODLUCK JONATHAN did not repair Benin-Ore road, his administration reconstructed it. Today, the once notorious Benin-Ore road is now a modern spectacle. Many more federal roads have been or are being overhauled or completely reconstructed, including the popular Lagos/Ibadan Expressway.
4. Before this administration, MOST of Nigeria’s vehicle assembling plants where dead and buried. Our economy wholly relied on imported cars through the ports or by land via Cotonou. Today, GOODLUCK JONATHAN’s automotive policy has revived the vehicle manufacturing and assembling industry in Nigeria. Hyundai, Nissan, and Peugeot have resumed car assembling in Nigeria. Innoson Motors, Nigeria’s first indigenous car-brand is being patronized and encouraged by government.
5. Previous governments starved and destroyed Nigeria’s Railway system so as to encourage use of Trailers on roads-a sector controlled by their cronies. Railway tracks throughout Nigeria were converted into ‘bend-down-select’ markets for second hand clothing. GOODLUCK JONATHAN’s government revived the rail system in incredible ways so much so that KPMG recently listed the almost complete Abuja-Kaduna Modern Rail System as one of the top 100 infrastructural developments in the world. When was the last time any Nigerian project received this type of international recognition?
6. Boko Haram was ‘empowered’ to bring this current administration to its knees; those who started the fire are now crying the loudest. Communities that once paid taxes to the sect and harbored members have now become constant target for the sect . Innocent adjoining communities and citizens are being killed, raped and kidnapped by these demons. The Nigerian army alongside brave citizens is constantly battling this evil sect, killing thousands thus far. However, no government in the world can prevent some of its ‘foolish citizens’ from wearing suicide vests and blowing themselves up killing other innocent people in the process. A few Northern Nigerian leaders that have the charismatic power to aggressively mobilize their people against Boko Haram have refused to do so until one of their own wins the presidential elections. GOODLUCK JONATHAN keeps on fighting terrorism.
7. GOODLUCK JONATHAN has built over nine (9) new federal universities; today EVERY Nigerian state has a federal university.
8. There was a time when Government Youth Empowerment programmes in Nigeria meant giving monthly stipends to young political thugs and their allies while the real Nigerian youth suffered. GOODLUCK JONATHAN created the YOUWIN scheme and for the first time in Nigeria's history, brilliant Nigerian youths with competitive business plans are becoming direct beneficiaries of government financial grants. The YOUWIN selection process is powered by reputable private consultants and as such bona-fide winners emerge without any connections with Abuja officials.
GOODLUCK JONATHAN’s government has outperformed his predecessors in spite of the horrible challenges of insecurity. Nigerians must not allow themselves to be hoodwinked by those pushing forward a re-branded religious bigot as alternative to President Goodluck Jonathan. Nigerians must not vote for an analogue leader, though 'probably' not corrupt but has a history of being easily swindled by his much more intelligent subordinates, be it in 1984 as a dumb military ruler, in the 1990s as PTF chairman and today as Asiwaju’s puppet.
So please, call me Igbo, TANoid, Jonathanian or whatever; if all Goodluck Jonathan gains at the 2015 polls is just ONE single vote, that would be my thumb print right there.
Vote GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN and NAMADI SAMBO in 2015.
Please SHARE, SHARE AND KEEP SHARING!!!!!